Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Egypt!!!

An unforgettable week in Egypt!!This is the most incredible mosque I’ve been too. I studied it before coming here, but it was even more elaborate and beautiful than I had expected. While inside we were able to hear our guide talk to us about the Islamic religion. His description was so inspiring. My admiration for the religion of Islam has increased a lot since I have been here. The Muslims are some of the most devoted people that I know. I'm constantly reminded of their dedication as I'm woken up by their call to prayer every morning at 4 AM (there is a mineret located about 100 feet from my bedroom window). It is a privilege to live among so many of them and constantly learn more about their beliefs and lifestyle.

We're standing over the great Nile River.
This is one of the oldest churches in Cairo. The basement of this church is where they think Joseph and Mary brought Christ as an infant to get away from the murders of Herod.
Allie and I taking the midnight train from Luxor to Cairo. It was the oldest, dirtiest and grossest train I had ever imagined. The one person who ate the food they gave us threw up the whole next day. What an experience.
Me with Jess, Mary and Elissa. These girls are a few of my best friends that I've made here. It's shocking how close you can get to a group of people in such a short amount of time. We couldn't resist these bags in the SUK (the merchant shopping streets in Egypt) because they were so cheap-- so here's us carrying all four of them on a horse drawn carriage through the streets of Egypt. We looked completely out of place and ridiculous. I can't think of many times I've laughed harder.

The Luxor temple
This mosque is built on top of the Luxor Temple. By the 8th century the Luxor temple was completely buried by dirt. Therefore, the Muslims built a mosque on top of it without even knowing. The Luxor temple has evidence of Egyptian, Christian and Islamic symbols throughout it. It's a marvelous complex!!
Us at the Karnak temple- One of the seven ancient wonders of the World!!! This is the largest temple in the world. The beginning of this temple construction dates back to the 14th century BC. Walking around it you are able to learn about several different Egyptian dynasties. It is astounding that people with so little technology were capable of creating such remarkable buildings!
Hatshepsut Temple
Step Pyramid with the LITTLEST Bedouin I've yet to see.
Pyramid and the Sphinx! The Pyramids were so much more massive than I had even conceived. A human looks like a little ant next to them. It is amazing to consider how people so long ago could create something that would stand the test of time and continue to be a wonder centuries later.

We ended our trip in Egypt by travelling to Mount Sinai, which is literally in the middle of nowhere. I’ve never had a cooler experience than riding a camel up Mount Sinai while listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and my favorite talk from Elder Holland on my IPOD. It was so peaceful and inspiring. As I rode of the mountain I couldn’t help but feel of God’s love for me. Gratitude overcame me as I considered His mercy and longsuffering. He led Moses up to this mountain to give guidance to the Israelites who constantly disobeyed and doubted him. So many times God has been willing to forgive me and lead me through my life as well. When I finally reached the top of the Mount I was amazed. It was such an unbelievable view. As we all sang hymns together I couldn’t help but be struck by the magnificence of God’s creations. It will be an experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life! (Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it on my computer yet).
As amazing as Egypt was, it felt good to get home to the center. As I sat in bed reviewing my day, I realized this was probably one of the most incredible days I'll ever have. I woke up at 2:30 AM in Africa (Egpyt), rode a camel up Mt. Sinai to watch the sunrise, Dipped my feet in the Red Sea and was now in my bed in Asia (Israel).
Sorry my posts are a little scattered- I have to do them really quick. I love you guys!


1 comment: